Monday, February 24, 2014

NTFCA TCU Clinic

Last Wednesday I attended the second installment of the NTFCA's Wednesday night coaching clinics that was held at TCU.  Before I talk about the clinic, I must say that this was the second year in a row that the clinic was held the same night as a home basketball game.  It made it very difficult to find parking.  It would be awesome if that could be changed for next year's clinic.
     Back to the clinic. The best part about these clinics is the free food.  Once we got inside, I immediately went and got my share of the chicken express chicken that was being served.   The clinic was held in TCU's indoor practice facility which was nice because this year the clinic started off with some on the field drills.  There were several TCU football athletes who I assume volunteered to demonstrate some of the change of direction and agility drills that they do during the mornings.  Some of them I had seen before and some of them were new.  The biggest take away I got from the drills was that the coaches were also looking for and grading the athletes on their enthusiasm.  I think as coaches we sometimes focus too much on the specific complicated skill we are trying to teach and forgot to also focus on the simple things like celebration.  We can't assume anything as sport performance coaches.  Here are some videos from the clinic:
Bag Drills


Wave Drill 


Enthusiasm - Start of the Wave Drill


X Drill


X Drill Explanation


Four Corners Drill - Four Cones


Zig Zag Drill 


Speed Ladder








No comments:

Post a Comment