Tuesday, April 8, 2014

John Rivas Rants and Training

hey everyone! My name is John Rivas. I am a USAPL/IPF Power lifter in the 105 kg/ 231 lb weight class. I am going to be collaborating with my great pal Monte Sparkman on his blog. Training, tips, and stories of great experiences will be posted.

I met Monte or (coach) as we call him, back in the fall of 2009. I was going into my second year of college or my first year at VMI. IN high school I was doing bodybuilding to put on weight and become the best athlete I could. I got bit. I was bit by the iron bug that is ; no longer did I want to run fast or play soccer but rather sport 20 inch arms and squat a bending barbell. So going into VMI I wanted to keep the weight I had worked so hard for the past couple years.

I walked up to the only weightlifting club on campus (powerlifting). I looked at Monte and said "i'm interested I've done bodybuilding before..." he simply grinned at me and said "naw we don't pose here we just lift weights". I'm sure he thought I was just another fly by night kid coming up saying I wanted to take a pre workout and get bro massive. However I made every training session proving to him I was serious and my passion for powerlifting was born.

Its been about 4 and a half years now since I First met Monte and he has guided me through many obstacles and hardships in my life as well as many great laughs and shared advice on training. The relationships lifting has brought me are ones I can never replace.

I hope to bring words of encouragement as well as great training videos and info.... so stay tuned!!!!


-John (el nacho) Rivas

No comments:

Post a Comment